Weiss Marching Band: State Bound

Calista Basore and Angel Zavala

Our very own Weiss High School marching band has recently made it to State for the first time, despite it being our third year. On Tuesday, November 5th, the Weiss Wolves marching band attended the 5A UIL State Marching Band Contest at the San Antonio, Alamodome, and took 11th place, making them one of the top 12 bands in the state. Our band competed against 33 bands fighting for the top 12 spots at the state competition. Though the competition was tough, they powered through and have marked the first year of our band advancing and placing at state.

Weiss Band Director Brandon Hill, who has been leading the band for the past year, said they were blown away from the results, as getting to State for how young the band is no small feat. “I was incredibly happy for these students,” he said. ‘We never focus on competitive success. However, it is always amazing to see the students reap success from their hard work.

The 142-member band and it’s 33 dancers from our Weiss Scarlets Dance Team have been actively practicing their show, “The Golden Goddess”, since August of this year. Students in the band were ecstatic to find out their place in the competition and felt like all their long nights and early morning practices have finally paid off. “We’re all very proud to be the youngest band to get to State.” said freshman baritone player Lucas Pham. “You can ask anyone who went to State, the whole experience was exhilarating and the moment we got the results, everything just fell into place.”