The Rise of Stress in High School Students

How is stress impacting our students…  

Today’s students are more stressed than ever before. When students are stressed and preoccupied, it takes over their ability to focus when they are learning lessons or even studying. When school work piles up, it can cause the student to stress and their grades to drop. American College Health Assessment found that 85.6 percent of students have felt overwhelmed during the school year.

What causes students to be stressed…

Social media is another thing that students tend to be on and can cause them to feel even more stressed. Significant life changes are also likely to cause high spikes in stress. Daily stressors play just as significant role affecting their mental health. Stress can cause anxiety, depression and more. It is important for students to not burn out at such a young age when they have many years ahead of them. Large amounts of high school work are going to end up burning out students. Pinpointing where this stress is coming from is no easy task. There are many students who have a lot on their plates such as sports, clubs and even personal conflicts.

Ways to reduce students’ stress levels…

Unfortunately, there is no way of preventing stress, but there are ways of reducing stress for students. We are aware that high school teachers tend to give out a lot of homework, assignments, and projects. A way to prevent a pile of schoolwork to do before the deadline is to work on it as soon as you get it. When you get the assignment just take baby steps on it so that you will be done by or even before the deadline. Once you get home, relax but try not to spend multiple hours not being productive. Have a small break and try to get your work done as soon as possible so that you can have downtime before you sleep. Finish your work before it gets late so you will get enough sleep before school the next day. Pulling all-nighters is not healthy and can send your emotions on a roller-coaster ride. Sleep deficiency can make you moody and irritable. There is a saying ” lower your goals, you’ll achieve more,” can help to reduce stress and help your academic success. Instead of setting your goal to be getting the highest grade in the class, set a goal to feel satisfied with your performance. Most importantly take time away from the hectic world and spend some time alone. Take care of your schoolwork but don’t forget to take care of yourself.