College Applications

Chau Vuong

Starting this school year, students are expected to have applied for college in order to graduate from high school. For freshman and sophomore, it is really not their time to worry about it. But for junior and senior, the clock is ticking. 

Do students have to do it? Absolutely yes. To graduate in PfISD, the school board now requires students to complete FAFSA or TASFA and an Apply Texas application.

What to do first? The easiest one to do is to make an application on Apply Texas because the website will mostly only asking for your information and not your parent(s). Even if you are not planning on going to a college in Texas, it is better to have a safe option in the back just in case something goes wrong.

Making an application is a long process, but it is a fairly straightforward process. With how Apply Texas work, your basic information will already be typed down for all the other applications once you finish with your first one. You still have to do other requirements after the basic information, be it writing an essay or telling them about your leadership activities.

If you are confused about the process, the district has actually made a PowerPoint (Apply Texas Instructions) to help students make their first application. If you are still confused, then Mr. Navarro from the College and Career Center can help with more individual questions.

Regarding the essay, there are three prompts that you can pick from.

Essay A: Tell us your story. What unique opportunities or challenges have you experienced throughout your high school career that have shaped who you are today?

Essay B: Most students have an identity, an interest, or a talent that defines them in an essential way. Tell us about yourself.

Essay C: You’ve got a ticket in your hand – Where will you go? What will you do? What will happen when you get there?

The goal of the essay is to stand out but still be honest about yourself. You can also ask Mr. Navarro or your English teacher to proofread it since they can help to make your essay be more interesting.