Celebrating Black History Month

%28via+nit.edu%29
Back to Article
Back to Article

Celebrating Black History Month

(via nit.edu)

(via nit.edu)

(via nit.edu)

(via nit.edu)

William Sevilla-Ramirez

How Black History Month Came To Be

In the 20th century, while Carter G. Woodson earned his Masters and Ph.D. degrees in Chicago, both in history, Woodson noticed the history he was being taught gave little to no representation of black people in the making of America. Woodson knew this wasn’t accurate, “If a race has no history, it has no worthwhile tradition, it becomes a negligible factor in the thought of the world, and it stands in danger of being exterminated.” In 1915, Woodson and Jesse E. Moorland founded the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (the ASALH).  The organization promoted the study of black history and the celebration of African Americans and their accomplishments. In 1926, the ASALH launched “Negro History Week” to bring attention to their mission and help schools coordinate and focus on the topic. Woodson chose the second week of February as it covered both Frederick Douglass’ birthday on the 14th and Abraham Lincoln’s birthday on the 12th. The celebration was spread quickly and people soon began to have a better understanding of black history and literature. But black history week did not turn into a month until the mid-1960s in the midst of the Civil War Movement. The change was provoked by the fact that the most popular 8th-grade history book at the time only had mention of two black Americans.

Important Black Figures

The month of February is the time of year where we dedicate time to celebrate black people and their impact and contributions to society. Black history is our history, most things from rock music to peanut butter originate from black culture and black people, it’s time to give credit where credit is deserved. As part of black history month, it’s important to recognize and acknowledge all the black Americans who have made a name for themselves and who contributed to the development of the society we know today.

Madam C.J. Walker

(via truefirstseries.com)

Walker was born Sarah Breedlove on December 23, 1867, her parents at the time were recently freed from slavery. During the 1890s, Walker developed a scalp disorder which caused her to lose hair. This caused Walker to experiment and eventually create specialized hair products for black women. She promoted her product by traveling around the country, this eventually led her to open up her own factories where she manufactured cosmetics. with years of hard work, Walker became one of the first American women to become a self-made millionaire.

Dr. Charles Drew

(via biography.com)

Drew was born on June 3, 1904, in Washington D.C., he was an American physician. During his career, Dr. Drew made some groundbreaking discoveries like ways to process and store blood in plasma. During World War II Dr. Drew directed the blood programs in the U.S. and Great Britain but resigned after he found out of a ruling where African American blood would be segregated.

Phillis Wheatley

(via massachusetts.edu)

Wheatley was born in 1753, West Africa, at a young age Wheatley was kidnapped and taken to Boston to serve as a slave. She was bought by a tailor named John Wheatley, Phillis served as a personal slave for his wife, Susanna. Unlike most slave masters at the time, the Wheatley’s treated Phillis with kindness, almost like a member of the family. Phillis was given privileges not usually given to slaves, such as learning how to read and write. Quickly Phillis mastered the English language and went on to learn Greek And Latin. In her early teens, Phillis was a talented poet, exceptionally mature for her age. In 1773, Phillis became the first African American woman and second American woman to publish a book of poems. Phillis’ work became greatly influential, read by everyone from abolitionists and slave owners, her work being proof of the intellectual abilities of people of color.

About the Writer
William Sevilla-Ramirez, Academics/Fine Arts Staff

He is a sophomore here at Weiss and enjoys spending his time hanging out with his friends. and contributing to the school newspaper

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Celebrating Black History Month”

1. madisen willis on March 26th, 2019 2:07 pm

I like this story because I’ve never seen anyone actually talk about how black history month came to be and just mostly about black people who made a change throughout history so it was cool to see something different

2. Austin Ganong on March 26th, 2019 3:39 pm

Great story, keep it up.

3. sky cotton on March 26th, 2019 3:39 pm

I love this article and how you talk about famous black figures. Way to go

4. Matthew Wilson on March 26th, 2019 3:43 pm

Nice work finding less know, but impactful people

5. Ervin on March 26th, 2019 3:55 pm

this article is good i dont think he missed on anything fo me he did a good job on it.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Celebrating Black History Month

Culture Corner

Chinese New Year Origins And Traditions

• Celebrating Black History Month

Culture Corner

The Success of Black People In Hollywood

• Celebrating Black History Month

Culture Corner

Veterans Day

• Celebrating Black History Month

Culture Corner

Jour De La Bastille

• Celebrating Black History Month

Culture Corner

Dia De Los Muertos y Halloween

• Culture Corner

French Culture: Stromae

• Celebrating Black History Month

Culture Corner

Hispanic Heritage Month

• Culture Corner

L’amour et des rendez-vous en France

• Celebrating Black History Month

Culture Corner

Mexico Independence Day

• Culture Corner

Welcome to the Culture Corner!

Celebrating Black History Month