Vincent Van Gogh Victories

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vincent Van Gogh Victories

self portrait of Vincent Van Gogh !

self portrait of Vincent Van Gogh !

self portrait of Vincent Van Gogh !

self portrait of Vincent Van Gogh !

Kira Diep

If you’ve ever heard or seen of any art masterpieces, you’ve probably heard of Vincent Van Gogh. His famous works plastered in the most precise art museums and sought out by collectors and his works are applauded worldwide. but this happened all after his passing in 1890.

Beginnings
Vincent Willem van Gogh (was alive from March 30, 1853, to July 29, 1890) was a post-impressionist painter whose work, notable for its beauty, emotion, and color, highly influenced 20th-century art. He struggled with mental illness and remained poor and virtually unknown throughout his life. Van Gogh died in France at age 37 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Today Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890) is one of the world’s most famous artists, but he received little recognition during his lifetime. He sold very few works and was supported financially by his brother Theo. At the start of the 20th century, he was still only celebrated in small circles.

Early Life and Education
At age 15, van Gogh’s family was struggling financially, and he was forced to leave school and go to work. He got a job at his Uncle Cornelis’ art dealership, Goupil & Cie., a firm of art dealers in The Hague. By this time, van Gogh was fluent in French, German, and English, as well as his native Dutch. In June of 1873, van Gogh was transferred to the Goupil Gallery in London. There, he fell in love with English culture. He visited art galleries in his spare time, and also became a fan of the writings of Charles Dickens and George Eliot. He also fell in love with his landlady’s daughter, Eugenie Loyer. When she rejected his marriage proposal, van Gogh suffered a breakdown. He threw away all his books except for the Bible and devoted his life to God. He became angry with people at work, telling customers not to buy the “worthless art,” and was eventually fired.

Death
On July 27, 1890, Vincent van Gogh went out to paint in the morning carrying a loaded pistol and shot himself in the chest, but the bullet did not kill him. He was found bleeding in his room. Van Gogh was distraught about his future because, in May of that year, his brother Theo had visited and spoken to him about needing to be stricter with his finances. Van Gogh took that to mean Theo was no longer interested in selling his art. Van Gogh was taken to a nearby hospital and his doctors sent for Theo, who arrived to find his brother sitting up in bed and smoking a pipe. They spent the next couple of days talking together, and then van Gogh asked Theo to take him home. On July 29, 1890, Vincent van Gogh died in the arms of his brother. He was 37 years old.

Legacy
Theo’s wife Johanna then collected as many of van Gogh’s paintings as she could, but discovered that many had been destroyed or lost, van Gogh’s own mother had thrown away crates full of his art. On March 17, 1901, 71 of van Gogh’s paintings were displayed at a show in Paris, and his fame subsequently grew enormously. His mother lived long enough to see her son hailed as an artist and a genius. Today, Vincent van Gogh is considered the greatest Dutch painter after Rembrandt.

The Red Vineyard, painted by none other than Vincent Van Gogh himself. The first and only painting he sold during his lifetime.

In a summary, Vincent Willem Van Gogh was a Dutch Post-Impressionist painter who is among the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art. In just over a decade he created about 2,100 artworks, including around 860 oil paintings, most of them in the last two years of his life. Van Gogh was never famous as a painter during his lifetime and constantly struggled with poverty. In his whole lifetime… He only sold one single painting, which was known as The Red Vineyard which went for 400 francs which amounts to 398.57 United States Dollars.

L’Allée des Alyscamps

Yet nowadays they’ll sell for millions, like Vincent Van Gogh’s painting, L’Allée des Alyscamps sold at a Sotheby’s auction for $66.3 million to a private collector from Asia. This is roughly 6 times the price it drew in 2003 when the hammer fell at $11.8 million. Sotheby’s notes, “$66.3 million marks the highest auction price for Van Gogh since 1998 and an auction record for any landscape by the artist.”.

About the Writer
Kira Diep, Academics Staff

Kira Diep is a sophomore at Weiss High School this year and an editor for the school newspaper, The Wolf Street Journal! She is a very kind and...