Choir UIL 2017-18

Back to Article
Back to Article

Choir UIL 2017-18

Priscilla Le, Features/Academics Editor

On April 19th and 20th, our Weiss choirs attended two UIL contests at Pflugerville High School; mixed choir on Thursday, the 19th and treble choir on Friday the 20th.

The Weiss Choral Department worked hard to prepare their music and practice sight reading for the UIL evaluation contest. On the picture on the left, seven girls from the Varsity Treble Choir pose for a picture after changing into formal competition uniforms (for girls, formal uniform consists of black choir dresses, black dress shoes with a low or no heel, and hair worn in a neat bun).

On the first day of UIL competitions, the choirs went to eat lunch at Raising Canes after performing.

What happens during choir UIL?

The choral UIL contest consists of two parts: concert and sight-reading. For the concert portion of the contest, a choir will select three songs off of a Prescribed Music List (PML) chosen by the TMEA board to learn/rehearse for the event. At least one of the three selected pieces must be a cappella, meaning that it is performed without a pitched accompaniment. This year, our mixed choir performed, “Miserere Nobis” by Victor Johnson, “Sing On This Festive Day” by Jacques Arcadelt, and “Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel” by Roger Emerson, while our treble choir performed, “The Poet Sings” by Z. Randall Stroope, “How Beautiful is Night” by David Eddleman, and “Come at Dawn” by Eugene Butler. “The Poet Sings” was also performed at the Weiss choral department’s very first choir concert at the beginning of the school year.

A panel of three judges will score the choir’s concert performance based on a 1-5 scale (1 = Superior, 2 = Excellent, 3 = Average, 4 = Below Average, 5 = Poor) and fill out a sheet of paper with critiques/comments about each piece performed. The choir will then move onto the sight-reading portion of the contest which consists of two performances of a completely unknown choral composition on solfege syllables with two instructional periods between each. Students are not allowed to sing, hum, or produce any pitched sound during the six and two minute instructional periods.

Mixed choir students pose for a picture on the bus as they wait to leave Pflugerville High School.

Mixed choir girls pose for a picture at Raising Canes on the first day of competition.

Who went to choir UIL?

Choir members who were UIL eligible, meaning that they passed all of their classes in the 3rd grading quarter, performed in the Weiss Mixed Choir at Pflugerville High School on April 19th. This group consisted of students from all three school choirs (JV Treble, JV Men, and Varsity Treble choir). However, the Weiss Treble Choir consisted of only UIL eligible Varsity Treble girls and a few girls from JV Treble that passed auditions to be able to perform.

Results:

Mixed Choir: 3-3-2 (concert) and 2-2-2 (sight-reading)

Treble Choir: 3-3-2 (concert) and 1-1-1 (sight-reading) (this choir received a plaque for earning a perfect score in sight-reading)

The judges this year for sight-reading were Christie Brown, Jehu Hernandez, and Naida Ramsey, while the concert judges were Perry Dean, Jean Goodner, and Stan McGill. Each of these judges were given a rubric to refer to when scoring choirs. (Honor Choir judges, Perry Dean and Stan McGill were called as replacement judges for the concert event; these two judges gave Weiss High School choirs 3’s)

About the Writer
Priscilla Le, Managing Editor

Priscilla is a sophomore at Weiss High School. She was born in Arlington, Texas and moved here in 2014, just before her first year of middle school. Since...