One Act Play

Back to Article
Back to Article

One Act Play

Sophia Aleman and Kira Deip

Lafayette No.1

Summary:

Lafayette No.1 was a play produced by the theater art’s UIL team about a young lady named Lizzie Landry who  lived with her mother, Anna, making bread. She had a quiet life before the yellow fever struck throughout New Orleans, causing her mother to pass away and Lizzie to be forced onto the streets with the other local orphans. With the epidemic going around and politicians with the local police trying to force the homeless away, they must all work together to make a difference.

The Production in a Nutshell:

The very first UIL One Act Play took place this year,with its ups and downs being the first school to preform Lafayette No.1 Based off a true story originally written by Mandy Conner the students were able to not only tell a heart felt story about kids in New Orleans they also created a family in the process by having only a short amount of time to prepare,the students were undergoing a lot in such a short amount of time created something special. 

The day of competition was one of the most important part of the cast and crew.This would determine weather Weiss would continue or not with their hard work. They competed at Liberty Hill High school who held the district comp. against 8 other different schools around Texas with only 3 advancing schools. In end Weiss did not advance to Bi-District their hard work will carry with them.

How the Cast Feels:

Sophia Aleman who worked side lights feels “the production itself honestly went by so fast you had very little time to take it in”. With only five weeks to prepare, learn, memorize and block the production this led to a bond between the cast, Further stated by Tia Dye. “the friendships and relationships that are made throughout the process is amazing…we really had to rely on one another.” -Dwayne Sasa. These are some of the best parts of the production the following was said by Isaiah choice “the friendships and the memories we made together…a lot of growing as people.

The Audience Perspective:
The production took place in the P.A.C here at Weiss several students went to support the Weiss One Act and these were there reactions to the play.”honestly it was amazing…I wish there was another show, it had me on my feet.” -Kevin Sanabria Many students felt the show was amazing “it was well produced …I like the story was played out and the mood was well put on by the actors” -Kira Deip “the acting was grate and the emotion was amazing and the yellow jack scenes were amazing” -Andres Mauries The majority of the aduiance felt the same towards the production.

The Cast of Lafayette No.1 –
Lizzy Landry – Nomai
Anna Landry – Yassie Bonner
Julien Poydras – Spencer
Margaret Haughrey -Belle
Yellow Jack – James

The Forgotten-
Harris Carroll – Isaiah Choice
William Limon(MOAB) – Dwayne Sasa
Magie Mccarthy- Abby Mcmaness
Marie Wagner -Erica
Margarette Wagner – Sabrina Vargras
Geo Jackson – Jett Herbet
Peter Hatcher – Caleb Ramirez
Felix Fink Zallesky – Mia Albert
Hannah Meyers – Kylie Workmen
Catherine Blake – Ciara Santiago

Technical crew-
Main Lights- Tia Dye
Sound Design- Evey Harris
Costume Design- Emily Reeves
Side Lights- Sophia Aleman

About the Writer
Sophia Aleman, Editor in Chief

Sophia Aleman is a junior at Weiss High School this year. Who adores Selena Gomez and idolizes her with a huge passion. She enjoys going out in nature...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “One Act Play”

1. Mia on April 20th, 2018 2:09 pm

There are many grammatical mistakes in the article, such as forgetting to use punctuation or forgetting to capitalize. There are also spelling mistakes, like using the incorrect spelling of “great.” Perhaps this could be revised? Overall, good job on the article!

2. Elizabeth on April 23rd, 2018 9:53 am

The article was well written, but i do wish it was a little longer and had more information about preparing for the one act and more about the play itself.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• One Act Play

Academics

UIL Season is Here

• One Act Play

Academics

Can teachers make teaching fun?

• One Act Play

Academics

Weiss Fall Choir Concert

• One Act Play

Academics

Social Media !!

• One Act Play

Academics

Gay-Straight Alliance Club !

• One Act Play

Academics

New Physics Classes at Weiss!

• One Act Play

Academics

The 17th Annual District Student Art Show

• One Act Play

Academics

Choir UIL 2017-18

• One Act Play

Academics

Is Student Identification Relevant?

• One Act Play

Academics

Meeting the Dress Code Standards

One Act Play