Is Student Identification Relevant?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Student Identification Relevant?

Priscilla Le, Features/Academics Editor

Student IDs here at Weiss High School are plastic cards that include a picture of a student’s face, their grade, identification/lunch number, and also a scannable barcode. Having student IDs here at school relate to having real IDs in the real world too. Just like how students/staff have IDs to show whether or not they should be on the school campus, adults in the US also must have their IDs to legally do things such as driving, applying for jobs, and buying property.

How do students feel about IDs?

Student opinions on their IDs are very diverse, ranging from those who favor the extra security that these cards give to those who find that being forced to have to wear their IDs all the time as an annoyance. There are also some students in the middle as well, one saying that she “thinks IDs are dumb, but I guess they’re safer for the school.”.

“I feel like they’re practical but I also feel like teachers need to ease up on how they speak to the students that don’t have them.” said sophomore, Sophia Aleman. She believes that although students should have their IDs with them during the school day, that the punishments shouldn’t be as harsh when they forget to bring it. Sophia thinks that the way teachers speak to students without IDs should be changed.

“I dislike having to wear my ID all the time. I feel like there’s no point to wearing them and that they’re hard to keep up with.” freshman, Kira Diep, answered when asked about she feels about student IDs. According to her, she thinks that students shouldn’t always have to have their cards on their person at all times during the school day. She believes that it’s more practical for students to be able to carry them in their backpacks and just take them out when asked to.

Freshman, Joyce Gauthier, also has a similar opinion. “We should be able to retake photos [for our IDs] or use our own.” she said. Many people have heard about the issue of students scratching out their pictures on their IDs, putting stickers over their faces, and taping more preferred photos onto their cards. “I think we should be able to retake pictures.” Kevin Sanabria a freshman, also agreed with this. A lot of other students here at Weiss High School believe that students shouldn’t be forced to use their yearbook photos for their IDs, especially since not everyone is proud of their photo.

How do teachers feel about IDs?

“I think student IDs are an excellent idea because it is sort of like a twenty-first-century skill people now need to have. When you get out to the workforce, you have to wear IDs and it’s good practice for your future employment.” English I/Journalism teacher, Mrs. Anderson, said when asked about how she feels about student IDs at Weiss. She not only emphasized the important of IDs for safety reasons, but also because students will need to carry IDs with them when they grow older and begin working.

“It would be a huge safety issue. It’s important to be sure that everyone who is allowed to be in the building is in the building.” 10th grade assistant principal, Mrs. Brown, answered when asked about what would happen if we didn’t have IDs at Weiss.

Adults on campus play the role of making sure that all students are wearing their IDs at school. From the moment a student enters the building, they are expected to have their ID clearly visible above the waist. If forgotten, students are able to receive temporary IDs at the bookroom before the bell rings in the morning (before 9:00). Students are able to get three temporary IDs before having to serve a lunch detention or having to buy a replacement for $5. At the beginning of the year, students were able to buy replacement cards for only one dollar, but at the end of November, the price was raised to five. The reason for this change was to show students how important it is for them to have their IDs every day at school.

Although having to wear IDs may cause some students inconveniences from time to time, it is important for everyone to bring theirs to school every day. Student IDs play a big role in the safety of our school campus and it is also a start of adult life where students will have to wear IDs for work and other everyday activities.

About the Writer
Priscilla Le, Managing Editor

Priscilla is a sophomore at Weiss High School. She was born in Arlington, Texas and moved here in 2014, just before her first year of middle school. Since...

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Is Student Identification Relevant?”

1. Daena Daus on April 11th, 2018 10:18 am

Love this! Great job on this, Priscilla. Really shows how people view ID’s.

2. Jessica Montelongo on April 11th, 2018 10:25 am

I agree that teachers should be more nicer and more respectable on how they talk to students that forgot their ID’s they come at you like if you did something wrong when honestly all they did was a mistake. Also i think the punishment for not getting your student ID’s in the morning is too much.

3. Lizzy on April 11th, 2018 10:28 am

I don’t mind the IDs, I just wish teachers weren’t so aggressive towards kids who forget there Ids at home. I understand for kids who refuse to wear them, But some us, just forget it and we get yelled at for it and even told to but a new id even though we know where our Id is

4. Michaela on April 12th, 2018 10:25 am

honestly i agree with Sophia on how the admins are a bit to harsh about not having your ID on. $5 is too much for a ID, they need to go back to $1 again then we wouldnt actually mind buying another one, cause there are people in this school who arent as rich or wealthy as some people in this school to beable to afford a $5 new ID.

5. Edwin Rodriguez on April 19th, 2018 3:58 pm

not a big fan of the ids

6. tristen on April 20th, 2018 9:48 am

I agree with edwin, the ID’s are nothing but a crappy piece of plastic that can get lost, broken destroyed easy and that they are a horrible idea, you could simply just have a brain and look at the pictures of students and see if they are who they say they are.

7. Caiden Levine on April 20th, 2018 9:53 am

I agree that student ID’s should be enforced. It ensures security and awareness around the campus.

8. Hailee DuBose on April 23rd, 2018 9:55 am

Great job! you included what the ids are and what the students think about them. 🙂

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

UIL Season is Here

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

Can teachers make teaching fun?

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

Weiss Fall Choir Concert

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

Social Media !!

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

Gay-Straight Alliance Club !

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

New Physics Classes at Weiss!

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

The 17th Annual District Student Art Show

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

Choir UIL 2017-18

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

One Act Play

• Is Student Identification Relevant?

Academics

Meeting the Dress Code Standards

Is Student Identification Relevant?