Giving Power to Academics

Priscilla Le and Sophia Aleman

Weiss High School’s students have the privilege of receiving an hour lunch to work on their grades and other extra curricular activities. This unique schedule was put into place by our principal Mrs. Paula Gamble. Below are her responses to an interview about Power Hour.

Describe Power Hojavascript:void(0);ur:
Power Hour is one hour for students to be able to have lunch and to access teachers for tutorials or whatever else they need. The point of Power Hour is to help students become more responsible for their own education.

What was the influence for creating Power Hour?
Since we have a new school, I am trying to make sure that we are appealing to young adults on campus. I found out about Power Hour at meetings/trainings and liked the idea. I know that it’s a little more challenging for adults on campus because we have to be more diligent on monitoring, but I believe that it’s worth it.

Why is Power Hour unique?
Students at Weiss have an entire hour to take care of their responsibilities, most students at other school’s don’t.

What our students think?
The students here at Weiss High School have their own opinions of there thoughts on Power Hour. Emily Reeves states the following “You can have a whole hour to yourself….and is useful to not have the burden of coming after school.” Other students feel the same way this other students that attends Weiss High School. This student would like to remain unanimous they also stated “You get the chance to go to teachers classes and get the unworked assignments finished during this time.”

How do you think Power Hour will look like in Weiss’ upcoming years?
I think it will look a little more chaotic because we will have more students, but I also hope that a majority of the students will use Power Hour properly, spending more of it in classrooms. It doesn’t concern me, but it’s a thought process to make sure we have enough support and monitoring. Safety always comes first.

With Power Hour here on our campus, students no longer have to stay after school as much for tutorials and clubs are also much easier to form since everyone is already on campus during their lunch time. Students and teachers have time to both eat and get things done.

“Powerhour on our campus is teaching students responsibility as well as giving them some flexibility and social time. I believe it I something that makes Weiss High School unique in PFISD.”
-Principal Paula Gamble

About the Writers
Priscilla Le, Managing Editor

Priscilla is a sophomore at Weiss High School. She was born in Arlington, Texas and moved here in 2014, just before her first year of middle school. Since...

Sophia Aleman, Editor in Chief

Sophia Aleman is a junior at Weiss High School this year. Who adores Selena Gomez and idolizes her with a huge passion. She enjoys going out in nature...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Giving Power to Academics”

1. Tamyra jackson on March 23rd, 2018 9:50 am

Interview math teachers, more students so they can give their opinions on power hour and how they feel about it like the tutorials part. the page is FANTASTIC don’t worry mrs. Anderson

2. jessica montelongo on March 23rd, 2018 9:52 am

I really hope we still have power hour in the next years of our high school experience I think its helpful and you can have an hour to yourself to just be with your friends and not worry about your classes in that time.

3. Bian Villafuerte on April 23rd, 2018 10:19 am

I want to see what power would look like when the school is filled now.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

UIL Season is Here

• Academics

Can teachers make teaching fun?

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

Weiss Fall Choir Concert

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

Social Media !!

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

Gay-Straight Alliance Club !

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

New Physics Classes at Weiss!

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

The 17th Annual District Student Art Show

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

Choir UIL 2017-18

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

One Act Play

• Giving Power to Academics

Academics

Is Student Identification Relevant?

Giving Power to Academics